[LAD] RFC: Default discovery paths for LADSPA, LRDF, LV2 and DSSI (and more?)

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Tue Jul 7 11:48:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 12:28 PM, Steve Harris<steve at plugin.org.uk> wrote:
> But, what about, from now on, all LADSPA labels should be the plugin
> URI (only restriction is non whitespace, fine)

Nice in theory, though one problem with my preference for using
filename/label is that it offers more scope for weird programmer
foibles.  The only restriction in the spec may be "no whitespace", but
I expect hosts may have other peculiarities.  I haven't checked but I
wouldn't be surprised if some of my own code breaks if certain
characters are found in the label ('"', ':', '<', '>', '&' spring to
mind as possible candidates).  And let's just wait for the first
security advisory for a buffer overflow in LADSPA plugin label
handling...

> Will break any hosts the check to see if the UID is in the legitimate
> range of course.

... though that said, people do dumb things with numbers too
sometimes.  I have seen code that tried to store LADSPA plugin IDs in
floats (!) thus ending up with rounding error for large ID values.
(Not my code, honest.)

Chris