[LAD] RFC: Default discovery paths for LADSPA, LRDF, LV2 and DSSI (and more?)

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Tue Jul 7 19:37:02 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 8:15 PM, Fons Adriaensen<fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> Compatible or not ?

I don't think that there is a good answer for this, without the plugin
API providing a versioning system that the host actually understands
is a versioning system (so that it can do something sensible such as
-- different behaviour from what you should expect if the plugin had
changed quite incompatibly).

Since LADSPA has no such thing, I don't think there is any
satisfactory answer for this plugin.  One possibility that could in
theory work sometimes would be to provide a new parameter to control
whatever quality it was that changed (it could be as trivial as an
"old/new" toggle -- but what should its default be?).

This kind of subject is a minefield and probably always will be, since
solutions that are comprehensive enough to be effective in practice
are likely to be also just complicated enough to vary significantly in
implementation.  It's particularly problematic of course on a platform
in which people routinely get updates to their software without
explicitly asking for them.

Chris