[LAD] reading and writing to /dev/dsp

Girish Hilage girish_hilage at persistent.co.in
Thu Jul 23 12:49:52 UTC 2009

Hi Paul,

   Thanks for your reply.

   The scenario is as follows :
   I have an FC8 machine and suppose my friend have a RH9 machine.
   I want to make him hear on his machine the song I am playing in
'xine' on my system.

   For that I have written a 'daemon' which listens for connections from
client and reads from /dev/dsp and writes to client.
   The 'client' I have written is running on RH9, which connects to the
daemon on FC8 and reads from it and writes to /dev/dsp on RH9.

   On RH9 I can hear the song but with a lot of noise which I want to
eliminate.
   Can it be done using some other tool like (sox, play or padsp etc.)?

Regards,
Girish