[LAD] List archives

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Thu Jul 23 16:23:10 UTC 2009

Arnout Engelen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There seem to be several archives of this list:
>
>   http://lalists.stanford.edu/lad/

The "original" LAD list until 2002 server. Since then, they keep
backup-copies of all list emails; subscription there is no longer possible.

@Nando: on http://lalists.stanford.edu/ "website" links should point to
http://lists.linuxaudio.org

> as linked to and searchable from
>
>   http://lad.linuxaudio.org/archive/lad.html

lad.linuxaudio.org is horribly out of date.  It's only 14 static html
pages and worthwhile content from there should be moved to the wiki.

Alike apps & wiki, lad.linuxaudio.org will become an entry point to the
wiki and the current lad-vhost will go off-line.
Only http://lad.linuxaudio.org/events/ - which hosts the LAC video
archive - will remain (as redirect to lac.linuxaudio.org).

> and
>
>   http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-dev/
>
> as linked to from

http://lists.linuxaudio.org/ is the main resource, we should always link
there.

> Additionally, there's search functionality at
>   http://www.linuxaudio.org/search/swishmail/
> .. and another, not very convenient archive at
>   http://www.linuxaudio.org/mailarchive/lad

The drupal-module at www.linuxaudio.org is a wrapper around
lists.linuxaudio.org. It provides RSS and ATOM feeds and the swishmail
search is kind of handy. The /mailarchive/ just comes with it.  There's
a gazillion others fi. gmane.org, mail-archive.com, marc.info, etc. etc.

> This is a bit confusing. Perhaps we should replace the references to the
> archive hosted at stanford with references to
> http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-dev and
> http://www.linuxaudio.org/search/swishmail
>
> http://www.linuxaudio.org/mailarchive/lad is kindof neat, so I wouldn't want
> to propose doing away with it, but in its current form it's not too useful
> either: a 'thread view' of a whole month instead of only a single day would
> make it much better. What software is backing this? Perhaps we could
> upgrade/improve it.

It's the mailarchive drupal module - same as on kerneltrap.org. lkml has
much more traffic, which justified the hardcoded daily-thread-view for
that module. I do not know if mailarchive version 6.x fixes this
shortcoming. We're still running a rather old version of this module.
Upgrading/Improving this is quite a bit of work.

robin