[LAD] Connecting to Ekiga from the rest of the World

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jul 25 17:20:05 UTC 2009

On Saturday 25 July 2009, Jussi Laako wrote:

And yes, I'm hijacking, sorry.

>Nicola Larosa wrote:
>> FEI (For Everyone's Info), while SIP is a standard and interoperable
>> protocol, Skype is a proprietary protocol and app, and being a peer-to-
>> peer system, it uses your bandwidth for other calls too.
>
>This is true, and IMO, XMPP/Jingle is even better standard. Downside of
>these compared to Skype is more or less total lack of encryption for the
>actual voice RTP stream. I would hope that SRTP would be used more, but
>establishing the key infrastructure to support it can be a bit complex...

This 'Jingle' is a new one to me. Unforch, verizon is exactly like M$ in that
as a 2 bit company, they can't stand one bit of competition, so the user
confirmation emails from most of the SIP servers are filtered to /dev/null by
their servers.  I have signed up for several, and never received the
confirming email.  That can't be just a co-incidence...

>Empathy (http://live.gnome.org/Empathy) is "the" Telepathy client for
>the Linux desktop. Telepathy + Farsight is a framework to handle
>IM/presence/call signaling and streaming.

I'll have to check that out, thanks.  Humm, found a whole bunch of jabber
stuff with yumex, about 180 megs worth installing now.  I might be back  for
help. :)

Q: Has that been wrapped for KDE also?  Apparently not for kde4 yet.

Thanks, now back to the thread.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)