[LAD] Impro-Visor packages now on SF

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Sun Jul 26 07:14:25 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-07-26 at 01:20 +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sunday 26 July 2009 00:14:45 Sampo Savolainen wrote:
> > The idea behind GPL is that if someone else modifies the code and
> > redistributes this work, he must provide the code (under the same
> > license) for anyone receiving the software. That is the point of the
> > license.
>
> The main point I remembered from the last thread with "Impro-Visor" in the
> title: It uses gpl software itself. Which means that it has to publish the
> modifications of that part at least.

True, if they have done any modifications to that "external" part. If
it's only using it (jmusic?) as a library, the license of the library
shouldn't affect the main software. But this has always been a hot topic
with GPL: how to link dynamic / static and how does linking affect the
license of the linkee.

> And as the software is GPL licensed, the source _has_ to be made available at
> least on request by ways equally convinient as the binaries (afaik this ruling
> in the gpl-text wants to prevent that requests for the source-code have to be
> written on 200$ notes or that the >1million lines of code are sent via fax or
> snail-mail).

There is no statement about GPL on the Impro-visor site nor could I find
such a statement in the archive.org copies of previous pages. Wikipedia
states it's GPL as does http://www.softsynth.com/links/java_music.html
but .. has the copyright holder(s) ever declared it as GPL? Furthermore,
as I said in my previous post: the copyright holders are free to stop
using GPL. You may fork if you receive GPL licensed source from the
authors or from a previous licensee (someone who made a copy while it
was under GPL with the licenses intact etc.). You however may not fork
it based on a disassembled code not released under GPL.

Maybe I've missed something crucial in this discussion, so I'll ask the
stupid question (directed towards Raymond):

  Was the impro-visor version 3.99 released under GPL?

  .. or

  Are you assuming the whole of Impro-visor is subject to GPL as it has
violated the GPL of jmusic?

  Sampo