[LAD] At the hands of Professor Keller and Raymond

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jul 26 19:39:08 UTC 2009

Dear Mr. Keller,

you gave your average interesting project a bad note by keeping the
source code closed. Why not open the source? Cross-fertilisation can
make it much more interesting, everybody could benefit from it and
you'll get deserved fame, even if it's shared fame. Just my 2 Cents. I'm
also fine if the source will kept closed. Please excuse my broken
English and my frankness.

Regards,

Ralf Mardorf

laseray at gmail.com wrote:
> [snip]

Pardon Raymond :)

only now I visited http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~keller/jazz/improvisor/. This
looks like nice but not very interesting software and it seems to be the
effort of Professors Keller or probably of his students. They could do
this, because they didn't need to program some requirements before. I
guess if they won't share their knowledge, they shouldn't use FLOSS, but
pay for similar requirements. They look like they have the money to do
this. It's always the same, some privileged people won't share. We are
living in a dog-eat-dog society and this wasn't made by Professor
Keller, he's a victim himself and unable to do better. Be lenient with him.

The forge, http://sourceforge.net/projects/improvisor/, is a good idea,
but I don't think that a lot of those students will change from
Professors Keller's project to the FLOSS communities alternative,
because of the relationship of dependence.

Nobody should waste his lifetime with being annoyed about those people.
There are other privileged people who share their harvest with everybody.

Maybe Professors Keller will come to more academic fame by keeping his
knowledge a secret, but who cares? At the end his work isn't much more
than one of the thousands of workshops and chord and scale "computers"
available for free by the internet, but his program has got the
intelligence of Weizenbaum's Eliza.

Hm? Are Professor Robert Keller and a Non-Professor Bob Keller twins?

Cheers,
Ralf