[LAD] Fw: Re: At the hands of Professor Keller and Raymond

laseray at gmail.com laseray at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 00:11:04 UTC 2009

On Monday 27 July 2009 18:57:50 Nick Copeland wrote:
> Man, This discussion is too good not to stick an oar in. As far as Fons
> goes, the forwarded mail is simply stoking the flames. I have a few email
> from him, privately, that are extremely derogatory of anybody on this list
> with artistic instincts and he might also consider keeping his private
> messages as such. Fons had just got back from yet another pizza party, he
> says, so perhaps he had another bottle too many and his fingers ran away
> with him (before he flames me, I am also guilty of this at the very minute
> although I went for a curry and it was definitely hotter than parma). Fons
> has a tendency to talk a lot of drivel, then at times be unbelievably lucid
> although I am not convinced this mail fell into the latter. His message
> tends to be more succinct in those cases.

Ah, that is too damn funny.

> Anyway, enough of hassling Fons, he contributes too immensely to Linux
> Audio to heckled more than he is due.
>
> The message I did want to give, before I got sidetracked by what could have
> been a reasonable message to him (and I am pleased he forwarded it since it
> was firstly quite funny and secondly embodied a number of things I have
> wanted to say to him in the past but lacked that same clarity of
> expression), was that either you do make software freely available or you
> don't. If you can't let go of what you have created and let it go its own
> course then it was a mistake to put it out there to start with. If you
> really want to consider the legal alternatives then please just release
> your code on MacOS, then release it on Windows and finally sue yourself.
> That would be fun and it would at least leave the rest of us to get on with
> what we are doing.

LMAO.

> Either embrace the concept or don't get involved.
>
> Open source, publicly released code is just that. You put it out in the
> public. You let the cat out of the bag. There is no point in going bawling
> to some non existent legal 'daddy' to change that fact. Either do release
> or don't release it but please, don't look for sympathy from the open
> source community for the pain inflicted by somebody else picking up what
> you have done and improving/butchering/charging for the same. Unix is
> littered with failed lawsuits.
>
> The code is out there.

A man after my own heart.

FYI, still have not got any emails from SF, the project is still there, the
files are still there. Not surprisingly. Apparently, Mr. Keller did not
believe me when I said I had been through this before. Don't worry Bob,
there are lots of disingenuous folks out there pretending to be all FOSS and
using the GPL. That's why there are special legal groups and organizations to
protect exactly what I am doing. Look some of those up and check with
them. I'm sure they will get a laugh out of your protests too.

Raymond