[LAD] Fw: Re: At the hands of Professor Keller and Raymond

nescivi nescivi at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 04:10:39 UTC 2009

On Monday 27 July 2009 17:01:43 laseray at gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday 27 July 2009 16:33:48 Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> > While I'd  normally respect the private nature of any
> > message, this one goes well above any reasonable limit
> > so I do feel free to quote it:
>
> See this is exactly the kind of person that is like keller.
> Disrespects privacy, sides with the wrong. Definitely deserves
> a good insult. Thus, proving my point that they should shut
> their mouth when they know nothing.

wow...

I don't know... but unless you had a pretty good relationship with Fons before
you sent him that private message (how long did you ponder whether or not to
send it out after writing it? what did you hope to gain from it? Have you
considered other methods of letting of steam?), I can understand why he is
surprised about getting such a private message in reply to a public post on
this list. If you cannot reflect upon how your style of writing will be
perceived by others, and what impression they will get from you, then you
really have a problem. If you have an agressive style, then you have to be
able to take a grain of salt from others too.

Having heard the story from two sides now, regarding Improvisor and its source
code, I can see the reasoning (and frustrations) from both sides.
I can also see that you have a style in acting and writing that tends towards
the agressive (which is what Fons was referring to, I think).
I also gather that mr. Keller is not familiar with the way many open source
software is released, and thus has chosen another way, which may be more
suitable for his target audience.

As far as I understand, providing the source code upon request is in
accordance with the GPL, and a friendly email in reply to a friendly request,
saying that the source code will be sent as soon as he returns from holiday
and/or conference, seems totally fine with me.
And I'm sure in the next version the about box will be more explicit about the
GPL.

Personally, I always use 10 days of reply time to an email as a standard,
before starting to worry or resending emails - after 2 or 3 times, I might get
more agressive, or look for alternative methods of contact, since people may
just choose to be (or be forced to be due to circumstances) offline for a
while (it can be quite healthy).
For similar reasons some people create auto-reply messages when they go on
holiday, so that the original sender knows when the person will be back again
to reply to the mail, so he doesn't have to worry.

I've also found that people are generally more willing to give you things, if
you ask friendly, and tell them how great their project is, than if you take a
more confrontational approach.

sincerely,
Marije