[LAD] jack for windows compared to linux

Stéphane Letz letz at grame.fr
Mon Jun 1 08:17:44 UTC 2009

Le 1 juin 09 à 07:20, Jens M Andreasen a écrit :

> What is the performance of the jackd like in its windows incarnation.
> Similar to Linux, better or perhaps significantly worse? Is it
> recommendable for general purpose usage?

In general Windows does not have so good real-time capabilities
(compared to a RT pached Linux kernel for instance) and thus JACK
usually cannot run at very low latencies. Otherwise the system runs
in an equivalent manner.

Note that on Windows an ASIO/Jack driver called "JackRouter" allows
to use any ASIO compatible application as a JACK client. This greatly
raise the number of applications that can be used...

> Since this would be for cross-platform applications, I am also
> interrested in any experience with the various graphics API's
> available.
> I have here a small audio application written for Win32 and
> compiled for
> Linux using winelib. This kind of works - at least for small projects
> like this one - but latency is way up. The same application ported
> to Qt
> with jack as a KDE application runs as smooth as one could ever
> request.
> Would this then be a simple matter of running ./configure and make on
> the output from KDevelop to get it to compile and run on Windows as
> well?

This should work, but could require a bit of work to adapt the .pro
fle or something.

Stéphane