[LAD] [LAU] [Fwd: [Fwd: Re: Improvisor lilypond support!?]]

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Tue Jun 9 21:38:47 UTC 2009

Grammostola Rosea wrote:

re: Impro-Visor :

> This is an very interesting application, and it is released as GPL
> software.
> The only drawback on GNU/Linux is that sound is not working very well,
> at least in my experience:
> http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=860
>
> I dunno if there is a way to get better sound out of java applications.
> Maybe some devs can help this application with ALSA and/or Jack support?

The JavaSound developers seem to have mistaken JACK for something like esd.

 From http://www.jsresources.org/faq_misc.html#no_daemons :
**

"Why is there no artsd/esd support in Java Sound?

In Florian's and my opinion, mixing daemons like artsd, esd, JACK,
rplay, NAS, yiff, ... are hacks that work around a shortcoming of the
device drivers. We feel that mixing should be done either by the
soundcard hardware or in software by the device driver. For Windows
(DirectSound) and Solaris, this is self-evident, while Linux is lagging
behind. The OSS driver model is obsolete technology anyway, and ALSA can
do mixing in software with the dmix plug-in
<http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=DmixPlugin>. With this state of
affairs, all these discussions about mixing daemons could be settled
once for all. Never again would a sound program have to reinvent the
wheel with output plugins for /dev/dsp, ALSA, esd, arts, [you name it].
This would be a very efficient solution in terms of using (vs. wasting)
programmer time. It would even enable the coexistence of several mixing
daemons for backward compatibility. So why not do the obvious, elegant,
technically clean, (human) resource saving?"

Best,

dp