[LAD] VST 2.4 v. 3.0

victor Victor.Lazzarini at nuim.ie
Sat Jun 13 08:04:31 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,

does anyone have any idea on the uptake of VST 3 ?
Is this becoming the standard and 2.* being quickly
deprecated?
Comparing the two, there is a lot of stuff in VST3, it
seems quite heavy, which seems to be a change
from the relative simplicity of 2.*.  Also 3 does not look
backwards compatible (so older plugins would not
work with it).
On the FOSS front then, with 3 we are stuck again
with Steinberg's terms. So my question is: are
developers in general sticking with 2.* or has everyone
moved to 3. Again, my question has an educational
slant, should we be teaching 3 or 2 (or both, if we
are teaching VST at all, that is) ?

Thanks

Victor