[LAD] [RFC] LADSPA 1.2

Tim Goetze tim at quitte.de
Thu Jun 18 21:16:53 UTC 2009

[Stefano D'Angelo]

>Note: a weird host could copy make a copy of the descriptors (I see
>nothing claiming this should not happen in the header file), thus ABI
>would be broken... this could maybe happen in LADSPA hosts written in
>non-C languages (why does Java come to my mind?).

No, it's not a problem.  A host that does this is just treating the
plugin as a 1.1 version and ignoring the extra fields of the struct,
which is completely legal and causes no problems whatsoever.

Besides, the ladspa.h file states:

"""The plugin descriptor from which this instantiate function was
found must also be passed."""

when describing the instantiate() method of the plugin, the only one
that takes a descriptor pointer as an argument, effectively precluding
the plugin code stumbling across the use of a copied descriptor struct
as you describe it.

Cheers, Tim