[LAD] [RFC] LADSPA 1.2

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Thu Jun 18 22:54:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 12:13:26AM +0200, Stefano D'Angelo wrote:

> 2009/6/18 Fons Adriaensen <fons at kokkinizita.net>:
> >> Plus, you can't change the name of the parameter (PortNames) in the
> >> descriptor, without breaking API, which is weird.
> >
> > You can. Fields are not referred to by name in compiled
> > code. Host and plugins can use different names, except
> > for symbols that are looked up by dlsym().
>
> As long as you don't try to recompile your 1.1 host against a 1.2
> header, yes... but not all hosts come with a copy of ladspa.h in their
> source tree (at least I don't in my project... maybe I should??). This
> would break balls to gentoo/arch/etc. people (and I am an arch user)
> :-)

That's the classical problem when any dependency gets updated.
When I wrote my very first plugin (something like 7 years ago
IIRC) and it was reviewed by the LADSPA gods, they advised me
(to my surprise - even today) to include a copy of ladspa.h
with the sources.

> Well, I am in Turin now, but I come from a little village in the South
> which is way cooler and drier and A LOT less polluted than this city.
> Anyway, I guess in Senegal it is always hot, while in Italy it is hot
> in summer and relatively cold in winter,

Yes, winters here in Parma are worse than in Belgium.
Pollution here is probably less than in Turin. In fact
since mid may the whole region, and even the center of
Parma has this intense 'tiglio' perfume in the air.
(don't remember the English word for this...)

> this might explain why people complain maybe (and maybe,
> Italian people just like to complain sometimes ;-)

:-) If I were Italian I'd complain about Il Cavaliere :-)
But this is driving us quite OT.

Ciao,

--
FA

Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.