[LAD] [ANNOUNCE] Safe real-time on the desktop by default; Desktop/audio RT developers, read this!

Mon Jun 22 03:56:54 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-22 at 01:55 +0100, Adam Sampson wrote:
> Lennart Poettering <mzynq at 0pointer.de> writes:
>
> > I just moved into Fedora Rawhide a little daemon called "RealtimeKit"
> > which will be enabled by default,
>
> It would have been nice to see some mention of this on l-a-u/l-a-d
> earlier (i.e. while it was being designed), since getting realtime
> priority for audio applications is a problem that's been discussed and
> experimented with many times in this community. I'd imagine that most
> people reading this list are already using one of the existing solutions
> to this problem, and thus may be less delighted than you'd expect to
> have another mechanism dropped in their laps with no prior warning or
> chance to feed into the design process. ;-)

Count me in as being surprised.

I would imagine it would be natural to include the LAD community in such
a discussion. If not _all_ of LAD, then I would imagine I would at least
invite the Jack developers to participate. If not _all_ of them, then at
least a small subset (the main developers).

After all Jack users, developers, packagers, system administrators, etc,
have been dealing with this very same issue publicly for many many
years[*] and were part of previous discussions about this...

Oh well...
-- Fernando

[*] in my case since 2001 or so (when Planet CCRMA went public - but if
I remember correctly I was using realtime scheduling access methods for
non-root users at CCRMA even before that).

My memory is fuzzy, but I may have the dubious distinction of being the
first to add a way to access SCHED_FIFO to jackd as a non-root user
using capabilities, as I needed that for CCRMA (based on code in, I
think, muse - or was it some other program?). A very ugly hack that
hopefully has been purged from the jack source code a long time ago :-)