[LAD] [ANNOUNCE] Safe real-time on the desktop by default; Desktop/audio RT developers, read this!

Dennis Schulmeister linux-audio-dev at windows3.de
Tue Jun 23 00:09:10 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 01:59 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Take it from a desktop developer: it does make a difference if PA is
> RT or not.

I'd be curious which difference it makes.

> And there are no plans to make every media player RT. Nobody is
> suggesting that.

Okay, that was inaccurate by me. But still audio performance has always
been fine for typical desktop usage without rt privileges me thinks.
Because the issue of latency is relative in that case. But maybe I'm
missing an important point.

Yours sincerely,
Dennis Schulmeister

--
Dennis Schulmeister - Schifferstr. 1 - 76189 Karlsruhe - Germany
Tel: +49 721/5978883 - Mob: +49 152/01994400 - eMail: dennis at windows3.de

Now moved to the corridor: Hermes! (http://ncc-1701a.homelinux.net)
Besides that: http://www.denchris.de - http://www.motagator.net/bands/65

<GnuPG KeyIDs: B8382C97, 01AD62DE>