[LAD] RLIMIT_RTPRIO userspace interface? (was: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Safe real-time on the desktop by default; Desktop/audio RT developers, read this!)

nescivi nescivi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 00:48:37 UTC 2009

Hey guys,

let me just try and be constructive here...

as far as I understand, RLIMIT_RTPRIO was decided as a solution about three
years ago, but lacks a userspace interface.
>From the post below, I understand that there is already a small app made by
Jonathan Woithe that helps out in this aspect,
and that that could be expanded/adapted to do the job properly.

It seems that that would be a much more useful approach than adopting this
apparently controversial rtkit, which as I understand, also only works with
kernels newer than what anyone really has these days.

So it seems to me that if we put our thoughts together, figure out what we'd
want the userspace interface to be like for RLIMIT_RTPRIO, and get a few of us
to code this up, this would benefit a lot more people, as it would be
backwards compatible for kernels up to three years old. (That might be even a
previous Debian stable. :) ).
Plus, if I understand correctly, it wouldn't require changes to how things are
coded in audio programs, which would make it backwards compatible with all of
these cool apps, even the ones that are not so actively maintained anymore.

If we do this right, then it'll surely reach the main distros somehow :)

sincerely,
Marije
(who would just like to have easily configurable rt-stuff, with some readable
guides on how to do it properly).