[LAD] [ANNOUNCE] Safe real-time on the desktop by default; Desktop/audio RT developers, read this!

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Tue Jun 23 12:03:36 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 11:59:19AM +0100, Bob Ham wrote:

> It's great that all these new Kits are putting free software in the
> hands of average users.  What isn't great is that they seem to be
> hastily developed and without concern for the wider free software
> community.  There will be consequences of this lack of concern.

And not only for audio production users.

In a previous life I designed space telecom equipment.
A lot of it was based on Linux. Basic techniques are the
same as for audio: you have some interface card with
AD/DA converters and RF circuits, and a number of RT
apps processing blocks of samples. Typical systems
are headless and remote controlled, usually from the
other end of the world.

The difference is that customers are very picky on
reliability and security, and such systems get audited,
both during the design phase and before final acceptance.

I can easily imagine what would happen with today's
typical Linux distros:

Auditor: OK, show me a list of all processes on this system.

System engineer: <ps -ef>