[LAD] [ANNOUNCE] Safe real-time on the desktop by default; Desktop/audio RT developers, read this!

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Tue Jun 23 14:57:27 UTC 2009

> +10,000
>
> PA is one of the biggest screwups ever, but red hat can't see it.

I don't think PA is a bad thing. On my laptop, PA works as follows:

1) takes care of general desktop stuff as needed
2) when JACKD connects directly to ALSA, PA ceases to play anything through
the audio card (who would want any "you got mails" in the middle of an audio
production anyhow?) but it also prevents other apps from complaining how
they cannot access the audio card.

Now, since I do not know enough about the innards of PA beyond couple of
conference slides, I cannot attest just how many apps actually are
intercepted by PA or if they are designed to gracefully ignore lack of
output, but to me this spells out a desktop experience the way it is
supposed to be. Granted, PA still has bugs to work out and I had it crap out
on me after couple standby/resume cycles at which point I simply had to
restart it. Other than that I had no noticeable problems with it.

So, I wonder if part of the problem could be hardware-specific (cannot
imagine how this would be the case, but then what else would cause such
divergent perception of PA?)

Ico