[LAD] [ANNOUNCE] Safe real-time on the desktop by default; Desktop/audio RT developers, read this!

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Tue Jun 23 16:26:01 UTC 2009

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-06-23 at 08:46 -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
>
>>> Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>>> ... we do have a problem now that needs to be sorted with
>>> integrating pa and jack in a way that is easy for everyone to work with.
>>>

>> Do they need integrated at all ?
>>

> Oh yes they do...
>
> At least to the extent that jack gets the soundcard when it is started.
> I think that is already part of the current svn of jack2.

I understand this part. But this part:

>  Whether it is good that PA keeps working on top of Jack after that or not is debatable
> - in some cases it might be desirable, in others it might not.

is what I'm trying to get a handle on. At this point I'm all in favor of
PA as an attempt to resolve the problems of normal desktop audio.
However, I haven't had such a great experience with it in recent
versions of Ubuntu (I know, I know...) but I'm hoping to get "unsoured"
about those experiences. The possibility of out-of-the-box low-latency
realtime JACK-enabled performance would be nice to have in mainstream
Linux distributions.

Best,

dp