[LAD] [ANNOUNCE] Safe real-time on the desktop by default; Desktop/audio RT developers, read this!

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Jun 24 02:07:32 UTC 2009

On 06/24/2009 12:50 AM, Chris Cannam wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 3:57 PM, Ivica Ico Bukvic<ico at vt.edu>  wrote:
>
>>> PA is one of the biggest screwups ever, but red hat can't see it.
>>>
>> I don't think PA is a bad thing.
>>

> PulseAudio works well for me, and I can't believe I'm the only one.  I
> have far more confidence in being able to get sound straight away out
> of any random application, in-browser video, etc., than I ever had
> before it turned up.  (Though I had some difficulties with it at
> first, partly because Ubuntu started out -- in 8.04 I think? -- by
> shipping PulseAudio with a version of Flash that didn't work with it,
> and were slow to bundle the most useful control tool.)

I have been experimenting with PA for the past two years since Fedora 7
and have found that the latest release with fedora 11 is definitely the
most stable and user friendly so far. I encourage anyone who has had bad
experiences to upgrade to 0.15 to see the improvements.

I am very happy with the experience from a desktop applications and
normal user pov.

I think that Lennart has heard the call for a more user friendly way to
disable it. For most users it wouldn't require more than adding a simple
button to the control panel to disable it at boot.

However for users who don't want to be tied to dbus there is a bigger
problem.

I agree that it goes against the unix paradigm to insist on desktop deps
for non desktop systems. Perhaps this will be solved in the future if
enough people resist the current wave of enforced dbus integration?

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd