[LAD] [ANNOUNCE] Safe real-time on the desktop by default; Desktop/audio RT developers, read this!

Jussi Laako jussi at sonarnerd.net
Wed Jun 24 21:32:13 UTC 2009

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Finally, I believe your insisting on POSIX is a lost cause anyway,
> because it is a fictitious OS interface. It's a good guideline, but

First of all, POSIX is also IEEE and ISO/IEC standard for an operating
system (including command line utilities), thus it has some weight on
it. GNU/Linux seems to be also very closely following it. At leas on my
experience it gives fairly good portability to Solaris and BSDs. And
also to large extent to OS X. In addition, various embedded RT-OSs
support it.

> feature set anymore, but to one that does only exist as an idea, as
> the least common denominator of a few OSes that are already quite aged
> these days. Also, at an ironic side note, your own

I would like to remind that there's a new IEEE Std 1003.1-2008 which
included all kinds of new things which some seem to be originating from
Linux and some new things which need(ed) some support to be implemented
on Linux (mainly seems to be aio_*() stuff). This standard is pretty
comprehensive.

BR,

	- Jussi