[LAD] RFC: Default discovery paths for LADSPA, LRDF, LV2 and DSSI (and more?)

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Thu Jun 25 09:39:44 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 4:35 AM, Stefano D'Angelo<zanga.mail at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am asking this to you as well, Chris, how does this kind of ordering
> affect discovery?

A library of a given name may exist in more than one place.  Is it
preferable to allow the non-root user to override the system version
of the library with a newer, fixed version, or is it preferable to
ensure that system updates take priority over any possibly antique
version that the user installed locally when first testing the plugin
three years ago before it was packaged?

> We're also missing default paths for LADSPA and LRDF on Mac.

SV uses ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/LADSPA and
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/LADSPA for the plugins, and looks in a
subdirectory of each called "rdf" for LRDF files.  Same goes for
Windows (i.e. "%ProgramFiles%\LADSPA Plugins\rdf").  Not that I
generally build with LRDF support on Windows anyway.

Chris