[LAD] RFC: Default discovery paths for LADSPA, LRDF, LV2 and DSSI (and more?)

Stefano D'Angelo zanga.mail at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 16:05:54 UTC 2009

2009/6/25 Chris Cannam <cannam at all-day-breakfast.com>

> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Stefano D'Angelo<zanga.mail at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > What about using stat() to choose the latest?
>
> Well, I suppose the user might want the older-installed version to
> take priority.  I don't think it's all that unusual to deliberately
> try to select the version of the plugin that you set up your presets
> for in "the version of my session that sounded right", particularly if
> you made it some time ago.

This shouldn't be much of a problem in this particular case, since in LADSPA
says hosts should use filename and label to idenitfy a plugin. But I imagine
there are other cases in which this is not so simple...?

> That said, if that's what you want to achieve, you could always just
> "touch" the version you want.  So long as you're aware of how the
> lookup works.

This is weird for the end user IMO. It is better to ask them which one to
use, or even load both? (The latter should work with LADSPA plugins, but I'm
afraid it's not that simple in LV2 - I don't know about VAMP and DSSI).

> I suppose my answer, then, would be (1) because it's more complicated
> and (2) it doesn't seem to be how existing hosts do it, but (3) it
> does sound like it an idea that might have merit.

Well, we just need a good way to do this, as usual I don't care which one it
is as long as it doesn't create problems.

Stefano