[LAD] RFC: Default discovery paths for LADSPA, LRDF, LV2 and DSSI (and more?)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Jun 25 20:34:13 UTC 2009

Jeff McClintock wrote:
>>> Windows (i.e. "%ProgramFiles%\LADSPA Plugins\rdf"). ?Not that I
>>> generally build with LRDF support on Windows anyway.
>>>
>> This makes sense to me, if only it could be made "official"...
>> (windows paths too)
>>

> Windows has official rules for this.  Users are no longer allowed to add
> random files to an application's directory in "/Program Files/Appname".
> Permissions are set to prevent it and that directory is virtualized to
> prevent it.
>  The exception is - Applications can install their own bundled plugins in
> "/Program Files/Appname" at install time only (because the installer has
> elevated privilege).
>
> User installed plugins go in CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES_COMMON , e.g. typically
> "C:\Program Files\Common Files\LADSPA Plugins..."
>
> Best Regards,
> Jeff McClintock

I need to take a look at my Windows installation, that I will delete,
because Linux now is fine on my machine, but as far as I remember VSTs
are in \Blabla\Steinberg\VST or similar to this and a user can rename
and add what ever he likes to this path AND Cakewalk or what ever, will
take a look too, to this directory. It might be different for LADSPAs on
Windows, but there seems to be still an advantage the way VSTs are used.