[LAD] [Fwd: Re: realtime kernel for Debian]

Luis Garrido luisgarrido at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Mar 25 21:51:22 UTC 2009

> The developers seems very willing to include a realtime kernel there
> repo. They need some people who wants to build and maintain it. This is
> really  a chance  for  linux audio, especially on Debian.  *This is the
> moment!*

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano of PlanetCCRMA fame, long may he live, packages
the best generic rt kernels in the business, in my experience. It is
worth it to build your audio workstation around Fedora or CentOS only
for those. I am having excellent results in terms of performance and
stability with 2.6.26.8-1.rt16, it is a masterpiece.

On the debian side I have tried very recently ubuntu-studio and
pure-dyne, since I had to tinker with Ubuntu for a paying job and
decided to give it a go. After having a myriad of problems trying to
boot from a LVM partition, trying to make wifi work and trying to find
a combination that didn't send my box deep into guru meditation I flew
the first spacecraft available back to good old planet and installed
vbox for the Ubuntu stuff.

Perhaps you can try porting those kernels to Debian, but I wonder if
it is worth the effort. How compatible are the different sets of
patches that each distro needs?

2 eurocents