[LAD] Xiph.org Call for Student Projects

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Thu Mar 26 01:43:05 UTC 2009

2009/3/26 Stefan Kost <ensonic at hora-obscura.de>:
> Conrad Parker schrieb:
>>
>>  * Develop components to support all Ogg codecs for OpenMAX IL, the
>> media plugins used in Maemo, Android and LIMO mobile devices. This
>> touches on many interesting projects, and is perfect for anyone with
>> an interest in mobile and embedded systems who wants a broad
>> introduction to multimedia codecs.
>>
> Hej,
> Maemo uses GStreamer as a middleware. the use of openmax il for some
> codecs is an implementation detail. We're happy having gstreamer plugins
> for all ogg codecs. Having more optimizations in there (e.g. trying to
> use orc [1] in there) would be rather interesting though. schroedinger
> (dirac implementation) has some orc optimizations already and it looks
> really promissing.
>
> Stefan
>
> [1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~ds/orc

Right, more optimizations in the codec code are always welcome. If any
student wants to suggest a project doing optimization work it would be
well received: pick a codec, suggest where it needs optimization (what
codepaths, what platforms -- or how oil/orc would fit in).

As for openmax il: we want to get a set of reference software plugins
working so that hardware manufacturers can have a known API to develop
support for. More details in my blog post here:

http://blog.kfish.org/2009/02/is-openmax-important-for-free-software.html

cheers

Conrad.