[LAD] [Jack-Devel] more jack/qjackctl madness : some comments

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Mon May 18 15:57:13 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 16:08, Nedko Arnaudov wrote:
> Fons Adriaensen <fons at kokkinizita.net> writes:
>
>> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 05:13:19PM +0300, Nedko Arnaudov wrote:
>>

>>> Fons I think we can both read C code, right?
>>>

>>> From posix/JackPosixServerLaunch.cpp, line 166:
>>>

>>> static int start_server(const char* server_name, jack_options_t
>>> options) {
>>> if ((options & JackNoStartServer) || getenv("JACK_NO_START_SERVER")) {
>>>  return 1; }
>>>

>>> #if defined(JACK_DBUS)
>>> return start_server_dbus(server_name); #else
>>> jackd fork/exec stuff ....
>>>

>> I can read this and it can mean different things.
>>

>> - This code is not involved in what happens
>> - The value of the options argument is wrong.
>>

> It is involved in what happenes. At least from what I've got about the
> problem you have.
>
> You have installed jack package that does not work well with
> qjackctl (dbus enabled one). Your application autostarted jack server
> through dbus. But you havent configured it. QJackCtl is dbus ignorant. You
> should not use qjackctl with jackdbus system. Unless you know what you are
> doing. Or unless qjackctl gets jackdbus support.
>
> jackdrc style commandline options for jackd are for jackd. They are not
> used for jackdbus. They cant be used for jackdbus. Because of the object
> activation works in all distributed object systems I know. This includes
> DCOM and D-Bus.
>

>>> presence of process with "jackdbus auto' commandline those not mean
>>> that *server* is started. This is the dbus service, not the jack
>>> server running.
>>
>> I know that. The fact remains that when the 'jackdus auto'
>> daemon is running a jackd is started whenever qjackctl is started. You
>> can go on to deny this, but that doesn't change the facts.
>
> So you complain about qjackctl missing support for jackdbus? Having that
> will be nice :)

from where i stand, qjackctl does not need jackdbus support whatsoever.
it's kind of the other way around, if i may say. and the way around is not
about qjackctl per se, but to plain old good command-line jackd.

fwiw, qjackctl just runs the jackd server as documented and interfaces to
libjack through its plain client api. it has been doing this for years and
rightly so, imo.

however, by having jackdbus in the picture and when everybody would think
it would be the holy grail, it is breaking all that instead just because
it wants to rule the game on its own. it's doing it with complete
disregard to what long time qjackctl/jackd users have been thought. that's
disgraceful to say the least.

i strongly believe that all this trouble is a matter or something that
just has been overlooked on the jackdbus development, that is, a
misinterpretation, a bug that can be squashed right away once it's
perfectly identified.

however, if all that is due on a jackdbus design decision instead, then i
am sorry, i'll digress. a completely new qjackctl has to be written from
the ground up. just don't ask me to do it, at least anytime soon :)

cheers
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc at rncbc.org