[LAD] Presenting volume control sliders

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu May 21 23:37:31 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 7:26 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:

> We are talking about per-strip meters here. In the
> HW days most mixers wouldn't even have those - maybe
> just an 'overload' led if you were lucky.

i'm not trying to compete with the race to the bottom.

> In Ardour they are also used as recording level meters,
> but apart from that they are mostly useful as 'signal
> presence indicators' or to provide a quick visual hint
> of from where (from which strip) some part of a mix
> originates. There is no need for a 'standard' meter
> in these functions.

i didn't try to suggest that ardour or needs standard meters here. my
point was simply that in all likelihood, any scale you choose here
that works for metering is different that the scale you want for the
fader. or do you think otherwise.

> What Ardour is lacking is sort of 'monitoring' window,
> a place where you can select in a convenient way what
> you hear, and how.

hear where? master outs? a listen bus? control outs bus? some other
bus(ses)? direct outs? there's no simple definition of "what you
hear".  there might be N listeners at one time. whose monitoring is
being affected?

anyway, all of this is currently being radically overhauled in 3.0, so
i can't (for now) get too deeply into how 2.X works (or doesn't).

in my experience, many engineers find a distinction between a meter
bridge and a listening/monitoring system to be frequently useful.
tying meters to a specific listening path at any one time seems
potentially counter-productive.