[LAD] State of Plugin API's

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Nov 1 01:09:06 UTC 2009

On 11/01/2009 10:19 AM, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Nov 2009, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>> So, maybe it would be a good use of time to resolve this inadequacy as a
>> priority before moving onto other items?
>
> Doesn't VST do it through branding?  VST is for effects, VSTi for
> instruments (softsynths), etc.?
>
> Perhaps LV2 could do a similar sort of branding... with the name
> defined by the extension.
>
> E.g....
>
>   LV2-fx
>   LV2-synth
>
> Bonus points if some manner of logo integration could be done, too.
>
> Standardizing how this is done would make it easier for application
> developers and users to understand.

In addition, presenting the extensions and the plugins that have been
built with them on the website in a way that encourages developers to
integrate them would be helpful for adoption.

It has been said before that there is a problem with documentation for
LV2. Perhaps the system needs to be more automated.

I'm not sure what the limitations of the existing system are but in
general having a central location where all extensions are collated with
explicit details about their usage and examples for how to write code
for them them would go a long way to making the system more developer
friendly.

Providing a weekly/monthly mailout which lists the new extensions and a
brief description with links to code examples and usage cases would also
be helpful for developers who want to keep up to date with the latest
offerings.

Essentially spending some time on automating the notifications system
now will be useful for everyone and could go a long way to increase the
pickup and development rate for LV2 which is good for everyone.

It just so happens that I have some free time I can put aside for this
over the next 6 weeks. If we can agree on what is missing from the
existing system I will spend some time on integrating it. I could put
aside 4 hours on Wed nights for this project.

So, can those in the know please spend some time to think about the
things that are currently missing from the LV2 ecosystem and I will get
onto it.

@Dave, I assume you have a feature/task list that you are working with
so if you want to hand any specific house keeping tasks to me then fire
away.

Cheers.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd