[LAD] [semi-OT] midi snakes using CAT5?

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Sun Nov 1 18:11:24 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Sunday 01 November 2009 16:47:44 Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> i'm playing with my shiny new BCF2K, and i'm going to use it some
> distance from my machine, so i'm going to try a midi link instead of USB.
> what is the maximum length of midi chain that you have used without
> problems? i read somewhere that no more than 15 meters are recommended,
> which strikes me as pretty short even if it's unbalanced.
> my idea is to abuse a cat5 cable as a triple midi loom - do you think
> that could work? pinout would be as follows:
> 1	midi 1 signal
> 2	midi 1 ground
> 3	midi 2 signal
> 4	midi 2 ground
> 5	midi 3 signal
> 6	midi 6 ground
> 7	common +5V
> 8	common +5V

If you want to make use of the drilling of the pins in cat5, it should be

1+2 Midi 1
3+6 Midi 2
4+5 Midi 3
7+8 Midi 4

Why do you want to carry 5V? According to my docs, Midi is just Signal+ and
Signal- and shield. Which, when carried over Cat5, should be all on the
shield.

I made myself some adaptors Midi->XLR->Midi a year ago but never actually used
them to date.

Have fun,

Arnold