[LAD] State of Plugin API's

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Nov 1 20:10:30 UTC 2009

On 11/02/2009 03:11 AM, David Robillard wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-11-01 at 12:09 +1100, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure what the limitations of the existing system are but in
>> general having a central location where all extensions are collated with
>> explicit details about their usage and examples for how to write code
>> for them them would go a long way to making the system more developer
>> friendly.
>>
>> Providing a weekly/monthly mailout which lists the new extensions and a
>> brief description with links to code examples and usage cases would also
>> be helpful for developers who want to keep up to date with the latest
>> offerings.
>>
>> Essentially spending some time on automating the notifications system
>> now will be useful for everyone and could go a long way to increase the
>> pickup and development rate for LV2 which is good for everyone.
>>

> The volume isn't really big enough for this, to be honest.  We can set
> up an RSS feed or something, or an announce list, but I really don't see
> this as being an effective thing to worry about at this point in time.

I see it as being highly effective. Having a regular community wide
update of useful LV2 news is a good thing (tm). For example it would be
useful to have a monthly update for the wider community that is sent to
the LAA list. the reason I suggest an automated letter is so that you or
someone else doesn't have to manually compile the news. If LV2 really
starts to take off (and it should) then we can expect to see literally
thousands of plugins and extensions being produced over the coming
years. Automating the process now gives us a head start.

> You'd be automating nothing.  Need an actual nice presentation for
> extensions first, before announcing matters.
>
> The mailing list is low volume enough that any developers interested in
> LV2 goins-on should simply be on that.  I'll look into adding RSS to my
> documentation generator thingie though, that's kind of a cool idea.

The more options the merrier.

>> It just so happens that I have some free time I can put aside for this
>> over the next 6 weeks. If we can agree on what is missing from the
>> existing system I will spend some time on integrating it. I could put
>> aside 4 hours on Wed nights for this project.
>>
>> So, can those in the know please spend some time to think about the
>> things that are currently missing from the LV2 ecosystem and I will get
>> onto it.
>>
>> @Dave, I assume you have a feature/task list that you are working with
>> so if you want to hand any specific house keeping tasks to me then fire
>> away.
>>
> Awesome, thanks.  I think the main problem right now is that the site is
> stagnant.  I think maybe the most feasible path, effort wise, would be
> just to move all the content over to the Wiki, which is easy for
> everyone to participate with, and nuke the site.
>
> I could probably get Steve to install Drupal or Wordpress and make a bit
> more of a "professional" looking site that way, but it's more work, and
> then we have two account systems instead of one.  Is there any advantage
> to this beyond pretty?  Seems no, and adding content is a bit more
> tedious.
>
> So maybe the best housekeepingey thing to do right now is get all the
> content over to the wiki, and tidy up the wiki, then we can make it the
> main page for http://lv2plug.in ?

This won't be a problem. I can start on this process on Wed. Feel free
to contact me off list about the specific items you would like to get
some attention.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd