[LAD] State of Plugin API's

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Nov 1 21:34:02 UTC 2009

On 11/02/2009 07:49 AM, David Robillard wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 07:10 +1100, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

>>> The volume isn't really big enough for this, to be honest.  We can set
>>> up an RSS feed or something, or an announce list, but I really don't see
>>> this as being an effective thing to worry about at this point in time.
>>>

>> I see it as being highly effective. Having a regular community wide
>> update of useful LV2 news is a good thing (tm). For example it would be
>> useful to have a monthly update for the wider community that is sent to
>> the LAA list. the reason I suggest an automated letter is so that you or
>> someone else doesn't have to manually compile the news. If LV2 really
>> starts to take off (and it should) then we can expect to see literally
>> thousands of plugins and extensions being produced over the coming
>> years. Automating the process now gives us a head start.
>>
> Isn't this basically what LAA is for anyway?  At the end of the day the
> author of<whatever>  needs to send the announcement to /somewhere/, you
> can't automate news generation, it has to come from people somehow.
>
> The fully automated thing is feasible for extensions published at
> http://lv2plug.in/ but not much else.

Ok. I will take a good look at how this can be acheived. Any suggestions
for the best way to store, package and deliver the details to the news
report will be appreciated.

> This is an argument for using a CMS over a wiki though.  It's easy to
> make an RSS feed of a 'news' page and tag posts to go there.  With a
> wiki, not so much.  The only real options are wordpress and drupal since
> they are trivial to install on Dreamhost.
>

>>> So maybe the best housekeepingey thing to do right now is get all the
>>> content over to the wiki, and tidy up the wiki, then we can make it the
>>> main page for http://lv2plug.in ?
>>>

>> This won't be a problem. I can start on this process on Wed. Feel free
>> to contact me off list about the specific items you would like to get
>> some attention.
>>
> Don't start until we're sure this is the best plan.  It's not really
> feasible to do the above stuff via mediawiki.

It's not a big deal for me to set up a drupal system for the site and
move everything over to it. We can also have a wiki for documentation.
However the automated system for managing plugins and details should
probably be hosted on the drupal side.

Does anyone know of a wiki type extension for drupal?

Cheers.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd