[LAD] Planet LAD

David Robillard dave at drobilla.net
Thu Nov 5 15:50:03 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 22:45 +0100, Robin Gareus wrote:

> David Robillard wrote:
> > Random thought spurred by the "feeds are good" tangent of the LV2
> > discussion:
> >
> > It would be really nice to have a Planet LAD (like e.g. Planet Gnome
> > http://planet.gnome.org/ ).  Having these things in your RSS reader
> > makes it really easy to keep up on what people are up to in general.
>
> We were pondering a while ago to open the drupal behind linuxaudio.org
> to public contributions. The main problem was and is to have a dedicated
> group of editors who maintain the content on a regular basis. The
> current focus for that is on wiki.linuxaudio.org.
>
> As for feeds, you can already subscribe to mailing list posts via
>
> http://linuxaudio.org/mailarchive/lad/feed
> http://linuxaudio.org/mailarchive/lau/feed
> http://linuxaudio.org/mailarchive/laa/feed
>
> The wiki has it's own feed:
> http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/feed.php
> and a list of updated applications is available from:
> http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/feed.php?mode=list&ns=apps:all

As Erik pointed out, these things are quite different from a planet.
The idea behind a planet is to get blog posts from a bunch of
independent developers aggregated in one place with a common topic (in
this case, LAD)

> > I don't know how many blog, but having such a thing would probably be an
> > incentive to actually do so.  Anyone adminney at linuxaudio.org
> > interested in setting up such a thing?  It seems like a straightforward
> > install assuming Python is available.
>
> Setting it up is not a problem. Styling and Content maintenance is.

Couldn't care less about styling, and there's no content maintenance
(100% of the content is just aggregated feeds).  The only maintenance
task is adding peoples feeds on request, I guess.

> Are you fixed on planet? Maybe the current drupal can do what you want
> with minor config changes.

There's an 'aggregator' module in drupal, but I don't know anything
about it.  Maybe.  Planet is just kind of The Thing to use for this :)

-dr