[LAD] Noob Q: Pthreads the way to go?

Harry Van Haaren harryhaaren at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 02:15:27 UTC 2009

Hey guys,

I've been doing some reading around the internet about Object Orierientated
Program designing,
got a OOP design
book<http://books.google.ie/books?id=KpJQAAAAMAAJ&q=object+oriented+software+designing&dq=object+oriented+software+designing&lr=>,
yet still I'm confused on how to approach designing a "large" program.

That's the background to this question: Is mutex locking the only way to
ensure that variables are only
being accessed by one thread at a time? Is it the "right" way to go about
it?

I've seen quite some strong opinions around the internet on how RT threading
should be done,
however I still am not fully sure if PosixThreads is the way to go, (due to
windows not supporting it).

I've googled for "c++ cross-platform threading" which returned this
post<http://www.codeproject.com/KB/threads/thread_class.aspx>.
I've not yet fully understood it,
but I'm also slightly afraid that Ill be learning a bad habit rather than
how to use a good threading lib!

Any advice on where to start? Cheers, -Harry