[LAD] adding session notifications to jack

David Robillard dave at drobilla.net
Sun Nov 22 00:30:02 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-11-21 at 19:03 -0500, David Robillard wrote:
> Ah.  Maybe not very portable?
>
> It seems sort of redundant to have restoring via command line when we
> already have a restore callback that does that anyway.  What if instead
> we give a unique ID to the application itself only(*).  Then, before
> calling jack_client_open, the client must call
> jack_client_set_id(myappid) so Jack (and/or the session manager) knows
> what it is.  The session manager can then restore it via the usual
> callbacks.  Then app authors only need to implement restore once, in the
> callback, and don't have to deal with command line stuff at all (which
> can be pretty annoying in some cases).  I suppose this requires that the
> command line arguments of the app are basically irrelevant though, but
> the appp could save those same settings to the save directory too...
>
> Just a thought, trying to make it simpler and purely API based.

On second thought, I see the utility of command line stuff, though maybe
it should be sent as argc and argv for more portability and less
nuisance for apps that just want to pass them straight through? (no need
to assemble an actual command line string, which is both annoying and
not portable)

Cheers,

-dr