[LAD] LADI

Bob Ham rah at bash.sh
Tue Nov 24 08:53:02 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 09:17 +1100, Loki Davison wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 12:17 AM, Adrian Knoth
> <adi at drcomp.erfurt.thur.de> wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:26:06PM +0000, Bob Ham wrote:
> >
> >> I have never understood why D-Bus was even considered for a network-wide
> >> audio session system.
> >
> > Just curious: I wonder who's using network audio. Much of Linux Audio
> > is related to this "network" stuff, but I've never seen it anywhere
> > else.

> I haven't quite worked out why getting actual normal, everyday
> task to work well isn't more of a focus

I would say local sessions are actually the primary focus.  However,
local sessions are a subset of the functionality provided by network
sessions so while it may seem as though local sessions are being
ignored, that's not the case.  In focussing on the wider problem with a
lower priority, we also solve the narrower problem with a higher
priority.  This is a more efficient than solving the narrower problem
first and then solving the wider problem with another solution (which
would also then mean two solutions to the narrower problem.)

(As a side note, LASH was specifically written as a network session
system but the network-session part of it has never been implemented.
The change from a socket protocol to D-Bus undermined that
implementation.)

--
Bob Ham <rah at bash.sh>