[LAD] LADI

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Tue Nov 24 22:07:29 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 02:17:18PM +0100, Adrian Knoth wrote:

> I've been in several studios with tons of expensive equipment, however,
> all this stuff was packed in a single room, usually around a decent
> mixing console or a computer with multichannel audio I/O (ProTools,
> Tascam, RME, whatever).

Next time you are near a big digital Midas console try to
have a look inside. It's a collection of DSP boxes connected
by network links. Just count the Cat5 cables.

Not that I'd advocate this as the best solution, and the
reason why Midas are doing this is not entirely technical.
But it's reality as well.

> On the digital side, all these sites had total recall, that is, they've
> opened the mixing session in ProTools and all the plugins had their
> settings right. That's the reason why you usually don't want analog
> outboard equipment, but if need be, even that sometimes provided total
> recall (SSL consoles, some newer FX gear, preamps and some on).

When I was an active sound engineer (which was the '80s and early
'90s) most of that didn't exist. The people working at that time
were quite capable of setting up or recreating a mixing session
in a minimum of time even if it was all manual and you had to plug
some cables on a patchbay. They could do this because instead of
relying on automation they actually knew what they were doing,
and capable of separating essentials from frills and hype.
And some of the best selling and renowned music of all times was
created such 'primitive' technology. Anyone who claims he can't
work unless it's Protools, or fully automated or integrated, or
whatever such requirements is in my eyes just a one trick pony.

Ciao,

--
FA

Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.