[LAD] FOSS Ethernet Soundcard

Karl Hammar karl at aspodata.se
Wed Nov 25 13:49:42 UTC 2009

Adrian Knoth:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 08:35:10PM +0100, Karl Hammar wrote:
> I'm happy to go away and not bother you with the progress network
> programming made during the last 10 years.

The world is not black and white. My only point was that for this
application I see no real difference between IPv4 and IPv6.

> Speaking of which: IPv4 already has this kind of link-local MAC-derived
> addressing: the DHCP fallback block 169.254/16, as specified in RFC3330.

Yes, it occurred to me also (I always turns it off:).

... [ some ancient code ]
> New code shouldn't do this anymore, hence the rude reflex. My apologies.

If you promise not to let your rude reflex to show its ugly face
again, I will accept your apology.

That said, it does not mean I'm always right, and sometimes I'm more
happy being wrong than right.

Let's start over.

=======

My position is to be able to run both ipv4 and/or ipv6 per user
discretion. I don't think we have any disagreement about that.

Also, my position on how to make and keep latency low, an easy first
step is to make sure there is no other traffic than the transport of
the audio data and possible some kind of syncronisation/word_clock.
I don't know if this is all-important, but it is an easy step -- turn
off arp, dns, dhcp, ... -- since theese can possible interrupt the
flow.

If you tell us what the "Ethernet Soundcard" should do re. ipv6, I'm
more than willing to listen.

Regards,
/Karl

Karl Hammar                    Aspö Data               karl at aspodata.se
Lilla Aspö 148                                                 Networks
S-742 94 Östhammar          +46  173 140 57                   Computers
Sweden                     +46  70 511 97 84                 Consulting