[LAD] [ANN] QjackCtl 0.3.5 slipped away!

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Fri Oct 2 20:04:31 UTC 2009

On Friday 02 October 2009 21:02:09 Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 19:58 +0100, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> > - A couple of primitive D-Bus interface slots have been introduced ...
> Can somebody give a pointer to why D-Bus is desireable in an
> RT-envoronment? What is the magic we do not wan't to live without?

dbus has nothing to do with dns-lookups. In principle dbus is network-
transparent. But in practice only with complicated authentication (that only
works on the same computer) or with a special patch to allow anonymous
connections. So the default mode of the servers don't activate network
support.

The magic it provides:
De-coupling functionality from the gui. And allowing several guis to represent
the same at the same time. And IPC in general.

> I am asking this because I am experiencing that the 'Kit'-family is
> doing nameserver lookups before allowing to open a window with my
> current soundcard mixer levels.

Unless I missed a dbus-kit, one has nothing to do with another.

But I concur that the *kit crap is taking much to much space and time.
Someone should write drop-in packages that satisfy dependencies but don't run
the stuff.

Arnold