[LAD] [ANN] QjackCtl 0.3.5 slipped away!

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Sun Oct 4 09:32:56 UTC 2009

Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 03, 2009 at 11:11:09PM +0100, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
>
>> Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>>
>>> With the new release is it still possible to
>>>
>>> - start qjackctl while you have an already running jackd,
>>>   and have it connect to that jackd,
>>> - and later terminate qjackctl and leave the jackd rumning,
>>> - repeat this as many times as necessary ?
>>>
>>> This is sort of essential to the way I use qjackctl today.
>>>
>> all positive but "terminate qjackctl and leave the jackd rumning"...
>>
>> iif jackd was started from under qjackctl, it will get killed upon
>> qjackctl destruction--this is one side-effect since qjackctl has
>> migrated to qt4 (qjackctl >= 0.3.0) so it's not kind of a mis-feature of
>> this particular release. it's been there for quite a couple of years now
>> (shrug:)
>
> The use case is about a jackd that was *not* started
> by qjackctl. Release 0.3.4 does the right thing, I
> just hope 0.3.5 does the same.

when jackd was not started by qjackctl, then showing the "Active" status
indication as opposed to the "Started" one, you can perfectly leave it
without terminating jackd. however, please take care to check if your
post-shutdown script (Setup.../Options/Scripting) is not the once
suggested default, `killall jackd`, in which case it will do the "wrong"
thing ;)

> The other case, starting a jackd from qjackctl and
> leave it running when qjackctl exits would be useful
> as well, and earlier versions could do this. But I
> remember your comment about qt4's subprocess class
> making this impossible. Damn qt4.

yes, well, one could hack and port the Qt4 class implementation and get
rid of the implied kill() on QProcess::dtor(), something i've pondered a
long time ago, but never materialized ... the uber-procrastinator always
strikes whenever you expect it to, again and over again :)

> BTW a non-qt version of qjackctl would be welcome.

probably not, from yours trully ;)
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc at rncbc.org