[LAD] [LAU] So what's the deal with controlling the aeolus organ?stops via midi

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Oct 6 15:55:15 UTC 2009

Nick Copeland wrote:

> Having everything after 0xf0 as reassignable is a pretty cool idea.

Maybe often used manufacture IDs, eg. Roland, Yamaha, should be excluded ;).

> Out of interest, what was the problem with MIDI sequencing and SYSEX?
> The only problem I knew about was that they are atomic and cannot be
> interupted hence on 'legacy' 5-pin DIN at a meagre few kilobaud there
> were timing issues, largely overcome now with USB unless you want to
> download gigasamples.

Using one output just for a synth that receives SysEx on real-time e.g.
to control it's filters isn't a problem for standard MIDInterfaces too,
but there's another issue. Not all Sequencers have an option to edit
SysEx. If your device can't send e.g. SysEx for filters, but only
receive such data, you're not able to use this functions. Nearly every
sequencer is able to transform controllers, e.g. you sent 1 (modulation
wheel) and transform it to 6 (Data Byte) for the receiving device.