[LAD] [LAU] So what's the deal with controlling the aeolus organ?stops via midi

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Oct 6 18:07:53 UTC 2009

> so you are saying that in order to edit a sequence that contains
> requests for stop changes, the user must understand the *internal*
> structure of a sysex message? and this is even more true when they go
> to create the first such request (rather than edit an existing one) ?

This depends to the sequencer. IIRC for Cubase's Atari version, at least
the real version (the free one for usage with Atari emulators seems to
be completely different), works this way:

The user needs to copy out the hex numbers for a wanted function from
the user manual and set a variable for the data that should be changed
and by mouse he can assign a fader to this code and tell the fader how
many steps he should do, the checksum is determined automatically. By
this function I had an real-time editor for Cubase to edit the MT-32 and
Matrix Oberheim-1000.

By the way handling SysEx isn't as hard to do as setting up a Linux
workstation ;). When I got my 1. Computer, a C64, I needed less then one
month from first usage of a computer to write my first MIDI SysEx
application in Assembler. I'm using Linux since years, but wasn't able
to set up 1 stable workstation for my home studio in this long time ;).

I won't belief that somebody who is able to make music by using Linux,
won't be able to handle SysEx data ;). Maybe he needs a short
introduction in hex numbers.