[LAD] [LAU] So what's the deal with controlling the aeolus organ?stops via midi

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Oct 6 21:33:13 UTC 2009

Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 07:26:18PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>

>> I don't know Aeolus, but usually a user should be able to change between
>> setting 1 and setting 2 by the GUI of the application, just by using the
>> mouse and without any knowledge about 0xf0 and 0xf7. The SysEx data
>> should be sent by MIDI, while the user just switch from setting 1 to
>> setting 2 by the GUI and a sequencer could receive it.
>>
>> A misunderstanding because we are writing on English? It's not my native
>> language ;).
>>

> A misunderstanding because you are apparently not aware of
> how Aeolus is controlled. With the default instrument setup
> there are around 55 'stops' wich can be switched ON or OFF
> individually. In general Aeolus could have up to 256 of such
> binary switches. Not all combinations make sense, but there
> are still zillions of them that do. Such a system does not
> map to anything standard in MIDI, but it is how a real pipe
> organ is controlled.
>
> Aeolus can store combinations of these switches as presets,
> and you can then load these presets using the standard MIDI
> bank/preset messages. But the discussion is about the format
> of MIDI messages to control each switch individually.
>
> Ciao,

For the default it would be very easy, 55 * on + 55 * off = 110
settings. An universal control change is number 6. This could be used to
sent by the data byte 110 different numbers ;), resp. 128.

0 = S1 off
1 = S1 on
2 = S2 off
3 = S2 on
etc.

Not a very smart solution, but easy to understand for green users, more
easy than using NRPN and controllers like 6, 96 and 97 are made for
similar issues.