[LAD] [LAU] So what's the deal with controlling the aeolus organ?stops via midi

David Robillard dave at drobilla.net
Wed Oct 7 01:08:43 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 17:30 +0200, Nick Copeland wrote:
> The issue with using the predefined CC such as #7 for other uses is
> that if any GM controller sits on your MIDI channel it will use that
> as a volume control, and it will be reinterpreted by Aeolus as some
> organ setting. The result is highly unpredictable and I don't think
> there are 55 unassigned CC available.
>
> The same is actually true of NRP: as the NRP has no concept of source
> or dest other than the MIDI channel then if you want to control two
> devices over the same channel (multilayered/multitimbral gives nice
> results with a bit if detune) then the NRP are also going to collide.

This is just a silly thing to do in the first place, and I don't see how
it would really apply to Aeolus...

> Out of interest, what was the problem with MIDI sequencing and SYSEX?
> The only problem I knew about was that they are atomic and cannot be
> interupted hence on 'legacy' 5-pin DIN at a meagre few kilobaud there
> were timing issues, largely overcome now with USB unless you want to
> download gigasamples.

A sequencer knows a controller is a.... controller.  It would be simple
to use any sequencer (or generic MIDI control thingie, or whatever) to
control that.

SYSEX is entirely meaningless binary blobs.  At best you can make the
user (or developer) do a ton of device specific configuration to get any
sort of coherent control...

-dr