[LAD] Realtime MIDI programming?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Oct 8 14:54:08 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 12:03 AM, Albert Graef <Dr.Graef at t-online.de> wrote:
> Arnout Engelen wrote:
>> There is some simple example code available at the jackaudio wiki though:
>> http://trac.jackaudio.org/wiki/WalkThrough/Dev/SimpleMidiClient
>
> Thanks, that looks pretty straightforward. I guess that to output MIDI
> from another thread one is supposed to use a ringbuffer which is read by
> the Jack callback, or is there a better solution for that?

thats the only solution :)

but keep in mind that, just as with audio, JACK is "encouraging" "RT
design" in which you do the work associated with a particular audible
time as close to that time as possible. of course, this doesn't apply
to playback of MIDI from disk, but if you're doing algorithmic
composition, the long term goal is to encourage people to write the
same that they do with audio synthesis: JACK says "its time to
generate data for the next block" and the app does it right there and
then. obviously, some mileage may vary :)

--p