[LAD] Next year's LAC

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Oct 15 18:45:28 UTC 2009

Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> "Jumping the Gun" is prematurely advertising some event.
> "Jumping the Shark" is inventing new fantastic facts to fit your
> bullshit soap-opera script.

Comparing all that English - English idiom explanations on the www I
guess those German translations at www.dict.cc are fine:

jumping the gun    voreiliges Handeln {n}
idiom to jump the shark [Am.] [coll.]    den Höhepunkt überschreiten

Even if your explanation of jumping the shark is correct, it could be
misunderstood ;). When Bobby Ewing rise from the dead, the reason for
this was that the serial season when he was dead, just was a bad dream
of his wife Pamela, the serial again was a best seller. Jumping the
shark means that something, e.g. a serial becomes a bad seller, like
Dallas was, when Bobby was dead :D.