[LAD] State of Plugin API's

Nedko Arnaudov nedko at arnaudov.name
Wed Oct 28 14:54:25 UTC 2009

"Gabriel M. Beddingfield" <gabriel at teuton.org> writes:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm looking to delve into the world of plugins (for both synth and fx),
> and of the free API's I find LADSPA, DSSI, and LV2.  But the picture is a
> little confusing.
>
> It appears that LV2 is "current," that DSSI is deprecated, and that LADSPA
> would be deprecated if it weren't so widely adopted.  However, LV2 is slow
> in being adopted.  Is this developer resistance... or is it just too new?

I think both.

> Also, I can't find any applications that will host all 3, nor even
> LV2+DSSI.  Is there a technical reason for this?

No. OTOH naspro acts as wrapper that presents ladspa and dssi plugins in
lv2 world.

LV2 covers most if not all features of LADSPA and DSSI but LV2 still
misses some important extensions (presets, binary state save/store) that
makes it inferior when compared to well established stuff like VST. I
think this is one of the reasons of low adoption. The other is that it
is just too new (as in not enough plugins/hosts). As it is an open
source community project and not driven by an enterprise, its
development is slow when community is small and somewhat apathic.

Other ppl involved in LV2 stuff may disagree of course.

--
Nedko Arnaudov <GnuPG KeyID: DE1716B0>