[LAD] [LAU] [ANN] LADI Session Handler - Preview 1

Julien Claassen julien at c-lab.de
Tue Sep 1 12:21:22 UTC 2009

OK, I decided to do a quickie on-list, because I think it might be of
interest. This is about blind people and screenreaders. If your not
interested, just stop here. No ladish relevance in here. :-)
   You can use Linux perfectly without any screenreader like Orca or Adriana
(Adriane?). Linux offers so many text-based applications, that a blind person
can easily stick to the commandline only.
   For the commandline you only need a braille-display driver. There are two of
them: brltty (currently maintained and Debian standard, also needed for Orca)
and SBl (SuSE Blinux). Not sure if the latter is still maintained.
   And yes, if you need to rely on Javascript and other interactive goodies of
the web, you would most certainly want a screenreader. The same goes for
having to read AND write WORD or OFFICE documents. Reading is no problem,
writing is the barrier. :-)
   Still I'm not sure how much a screenreader would help with the big audio
apps. My knowledge is, that some of them bring their own widgets, which Orca
finds dificult, and they sometimes use other purely grapical means of control.
The latter is true for at least some aspects.
   Sorry, iff I didn't tell you anything new or interesting. I just thought, it
might be the right time to brag a little. :-)
   Warm regards
            Julien

--------

http://ltsb.sourceforge.net