[LAD] [LAU] [ANN] LADI Session Handler - Preview 1

hollunder at gmx.at hollunder at gmx.at
Wed Sep 2 18:51:45 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2 Sep 2009 16:37:18 +0200 (CEST)
florentberthaut at no-log.org wrote:

> > On Tuesday 01 September 2009 19:18:45 Dennis Schulmeister wrote:
> >> That kind of application already exists. It's called a tiling
> >> window manager. ;) DWM is one I sometimes use although I never
> >> tried it for audio work.
> >
> > I think what is being asked for is more like a regular window
> > manager with a
> > tiling type window manager inside of it that handles the audio
> > apps. Or perhaps all apps you assign to it. The rest exist outside
> > of the tiling bit.
> >
> > They may want more flexibility inside the tiling part though. It
> > has been a
> > while since I fired up a tiling manager and so don't recall details
> > atm.
> >
> > (I could be completely off on this read, but is is my take from
> > paying partial
> > attention to this thread.)
>

> No it's exactly what i meant ;)
> This "tiling window manager" application would handle only the audio
> applications (or the one you want it to handle) and could be started
> within any DE . The goal is to combine the advantages of the "all-in
> one audio app" and of a multiple applications workflow.
>
> Regards
>
> Florent

I'm using a WM (called awesome) that can do tiling for everyday tasks as
well as audio. Since I have a rather small screen I use it mostly to get
every app fullscreen. When trying to use it for audio I ran in some
trouble. Applications like ardour require a lot of screen estate, on my
screen it hardly fits on the screen. Many other apps have a similar
minimum size that is simply not handled gracefully, at least by this WM.
Another problem is with applications that don't resize at all or that
apparently can't be handled in tiling mode. One such example is jkmeter.

So from my experience with awesome I'd say that it's theoretically a
nice idea but doesn't quite work that way. When you look at the
screenshots at tiling WM homepages you see mostly terminals, probably
for a reason. Maybe other WMs work better, but from my experience I'd
say that a WM that remembers window positions or where you could
specify them would probably work better, but I still have to explore
if that's possible with my WM.

Regards,
Philipp